- Core STEM offered from Year 7 through to Year 13: Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science and Physics.
- FSMQ is available for our Key Stage 4 students as an additional course.
- STEM offering is developed further at KS5 with Further Maths.
- GCSE Art course changed from Fine Art to Craft & Design to provide a greater range of learning opportunities for students.
- CCHS is an Artsmark Gold Award holder and we have a clear vision on how creativity features within STEM (as STEAM) and across the whole curriculum.
- The HPQ and EPQ offer students opportunities to explore an area of STEAM that interests them, supported by academic experts.
STEM Leaders Programme
We are delighted to have been approved as a Qualification Centre for the STEM Leaders Programme. CCHS was one of the first schools to sign up for this prestigious programme which was launched in 2021.
Our first cohort of Year 9 students completed the programme last academic year and we are delighted that they have been successful in achieving their Level 1 Qualification. We look forward to building on this success with our current Year 9 students.
Extra-Curricular and Enrichment
- We have a STEM room and a STEM tutor who leads key projects and clubs for students.
- Our Enrichment Day programme encompasses STEAM for our students. For example, the Primary Schools STEM day, Year 8 Creative Fest, Year 9 Forensics and our Scrapheap Challenge.
- Clubs, competitions and societies offering STEM related opportunities include, but are not limited to:
|Junior UK Maths Challenge||Year 8 with 20 invitees from Year 7|
|Intermediate UK Maths Challenge||Year 10 with invitees from Year 11 and Year 9|
|Senior UK Maths Challenge||Invitees from Year 12 and Year 13|
|Biology Challenge (online)||Year 10|
|Biology Intermediate Olympiad||Year 12|
|Biology Olympiad||Year 13|
|Cambridge Chemistry Challenge||Year 12|
|Chemistry Olympiad||Year 13|
|Chemistry Race||Year 13|
|Top of the Race||Years 9-11|
|Gold Crest Award||Year 12|
|Physics Challenge (online)||Year 10|
|Intermediate Physics Challenge||Year 11|
|Senior Physics Challenge||Year 12|
|Physics Olympiad Round 1||Year 13|
|Adventure Island trip||Year 12|
|Science Live Physics Lecture||Years 12&13|
|STEM competitions and projects|
|Industrial Cadets Gold Award EDT (50 hours)
Includes residential trip
|Industrial Cadets Bronze Award EDT (20 hours)||Year 9|
|Secondary Engineers leader award||Years 8-11|
|Arkwright Scholarship||Year 11|
|STEM Leadership Programme ((26 hours)||Year 9|
|CCHS Institute Lectures||Years 9-13|
|STEM Roadshow||Years 7-8|
|Electronics club||Years 7-9|
|Rampaging Chariots||Year 8|
(Led by STEM prefects and Science Prefects)
|Chelmsford Science and Engineering competition (June)||Students who have entered other competitions/events|
|Student Run Societies|
|Biology and chemistry society||Upper school|
|Dentistry Society||Upper school|
|Med Soc||Upper school|
|Physics -Engineering society||Upper school|
|Fizz Pop Bang (Primary) with sixth form support||Year 12|
|Creative Fest||Year 8|
|STEM Discovery Day||Year 7|
|Maths Masterclass||Year 11|
|CSI Forensics Day||Year 9|